Sleep Apnea Fun Facts
01) More than 22 million Americans are dealing with sleep apnea right now.
02) 80% of moderate to severe sleep apnea cases are undiagnosed.
03) Sleep apnea symptoms include chronic snoring, waking up abruptly to the sensation of choking or gasping, excessive daytime sleepiness, insomnia, awakening with a dry throat, morning headaches, and irritability.
04) Snoring doesn’t always equal sleep apnea, and sleep apnea doesn’t always equal snoring. Many sleep apnea patients don’t snore at all.
05) Individuals dealing with sleep apnea may awaken abruptly gasping for air upward of 30 times per hour during sleep.
06) Being male, overweight, middle-aged or older, and having a thick neck circumference are all risk factors for sleep apnea.
07) Sleep apnea affects women, too. Though women are eight times less likely to receive a diagnosis.
08) Up to 4% of children are dealing with sleep apnea, but it’s commonly misdiagnosed as “Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)”.
09) Untreated sleep apnea can increase the risk of serious health problems, including heart disease and diabetes.
10) Managing sleep apnea is entirely possible with continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) therapy and/or lifestyle changes. Some lifestyle changes include losing weight, avoiding alcohol at night and quitting smoking.