Sleeping Fun Facts
01) We are the only mammals that willingly delay sleep.
02) Have trouble waking up on Monday morning? Blame “social jet lag” from your altered weekend sleep schedule.
03) Finding it hard to get out of bed in the morning is a real condition called Dysania. It may signal a nutritional deficiency, depression or other problems.
04) Insomnia is not defined by the sleep you lose each night, but by the drowsiness, difficulty concentrating, headaches, irritability and other problems it causes each day.
05) Today, 75% of us dream in color. Before color television, just 15% of us did.
06) Being awake for 16 hours straight decreases your performance as much as if your blood alcohol level were .05% (The legal limit is .08%).
07) Going without sleep is likely to make you hungry as levels of leptin (an appetite-regulating hormone) fall.
08) Sleeping on the job is less of a problem in Japan. Companies may accept it as a sign of exhaustion from overwork.
09) Regular exercise usually improves your sleep patterns. Exercising sporadically or right before bed may keep you up.
10) If it takes you less than 5 minutes to fall asleep, you’re probably sleep deprived. Ideally, falling asleep should take 10-15minutes.